Saturday, December 9, 2006

தமிழ் கற்பதனால் ஆய பயனென்

I am not an erudite to say whether learning in mother tongue will help in understanding things better. I am neither pushing the emotional angle of Tamil-our identity etc..

I accept the fact that in the present scenario learning Tamil is not going to give one any monetary gains. But I belong to a group that doesn’t believe all we do in life should give us some monetary benefit. If you belong to that clause and if you believe life is all about experience, then I have a point to say. Learn Tamil just to read it’s exhaustive literature treasure. I don’t know any language other than Tamil and English. So don’t take it as I am comparing Tamil with other languages.

For me a literature /movie is good if it can be identified with one in some way.When I say it should able to identify with one what I mean is: “At some moment in your life (it can be a trifling moment) out of context, a piece of prose that you read somewhere, sometime , pops up in your memory and you feel it aptly fits what you feel at the current moment. Or while you are reading a piece the character in it undergoes or speaks about what you have / had underwent.” So one’s opinion about a book is dynamic, book which one liked a year back may not be in his wish list now. What one hasn’t liked at first read might be his favorite now. A book that I feel as good one might not be felt so by someone. Or different people could like it for their own reasons. In short “it’s a feel factor”. Everyone will have his own world to cherish. But there are few works that have something for you to cherish at any time. It could be written thousand years back, but today it could be relevant to you. Tamil have lot of works like that.I am planning to write a separate article on such experience.

The other point is the phonetics of Tamil-the rhythm, sound effects and associated limit less possibilities. To feel this just hear speeches of vai kopalswamy, dialogues uttered by sivaji ganeshan in films like manohara or read some works of annadurai, karunanidhi. One will like to read it aloud and hear back what they read. This is a thing which attracted lot of people towards tamil and I like the dravidan people like bharathidasan, karunanidhi, annadurai for this fact

2 comments:

RAM said...

"But there are few works that have something for you to cherish at any time. It could be written thousand years back, but today it could be relevant to you. "

I feel like above sentences suits for thirukural.

RAM said...

While I read this topic ,I was thinking about ponniyin selvan.

"It could be written about the story happened thousand years back "

A small deviation from your sentence .

Even though ponniyin selvan involves fictanious characters ,story narration makes you read it again .