Saturday, December 9, 2006

Dinner @ Japanese Restaurant

I thought of writing last week itself. The reason for procrastination is my laziness. Valluvar said “ forgetting, laziness, long sleep all these are ships which people who want to hit failure will take” (I remember this because my dad scolds me only by saying that kural). I have all the three. I went to an Japanese restaurant. I went with my roommate who is in US for several years and been to these hotels for some time. So there was not any problem in choosing a menu. He ordered an combo for me which had an soup, spring roll, a piece of item which is similar to nugget but had sea food. He said it is of type clam. Well it was nice especially with the sauce that they gave. The main course was fried rice, steak and chicken. Before going to it I have to explain the table in which we sat. It was rectangular in shape and chairs were only on 3 sides. I was initially surprised why it had no chairs on other side. But it got clarified when we entered main course. A chef came with a trolley. The other side was actually a stove. They started to cook front of us. He made fried rice then fried vegetables, chicken and steak. To fry onion, He took an onion slice and separated each ring and placed them one above other like the tower of Hanoi and poured oil on it and lit a fire. The skillfulness, with which he did it, was a wonderful thing to look at. During cooking he was asking us about our country, our food style, culture etc.. It was a quite interesting thing to look out. Finally the bill came close to 26 USD per head.

Well we can see this kind of cooking in roadside shops of India also. Especially if you order an fried rice the way he cut and put egg in it and tosses the rice .. I love to watch it. The difference is there he will be in lungi, road side sound and dust will be the there, here the cook is in formal attire and speaks to us amicably and cooks.

No comments: